Here's a list of the changes and new features added along the way.
(April 23, 2007)
- Added ability to limit the number of decimals.
- Added "Variable Quick Look": Hold shift and move the mouse over a variable in the formula bar to see it's value.
- Added ability to scroll up/down through previous formulas with shift+up/down arrows or control+p/n.
- Added support for modulii: % = percent in regular mode, modulus in programmer mode.
- Added cbrt(), ciel(), floor(), and round() functions.
- Added a French localization.
- Improved support for significant figure limiting.
- Added some Emacs shortcuts.
- Added clear shortcut to esc key.
- Added support for exponential notation using capital E, such as 3E2.
- Changed multiplication operator from an asterisk to a dot.
- Improved the calculation engine -- it's faster and has some bug fixes.
(January 11, 2007)
- Using a mouse to click the number and function pads on the widget now works correctly after calculating a formula.
- Fixed a bug that would cause about 5% of negative numbers to display incorrectly, being off by 2. For example, -238 would be displayed as -236. This only affected the answer displayed below the formula. Answers in the answer cache were displayed correctly, and the correct number was used in future calculations.
- Fixed a bug that caused multiples of 10, 100, etc. to be displayed off by 1 in largest digit, when the display precision was set to 2 or 3 on the back of the widget. Again, this did not affect the values used in future calculations or the number displayed in the answer cache.
- Fixed a bug that would cause negative numbers with a multliple of 3 digits to be displayed with a comma when thousands separators were enabled. For example, -333 would be displayed as -,333 .
- Fixed a bug where certain keyboard combinations would result in a zero being entered (such as alt+e). These keystrokes are now ignored.
(December 12, 2006)
- New, cleaner look
- Support for variables (by using the equals sign, like a=3*4)
- Programmer Mode
- Support for entering capital hex letters.
- Display of binary/hex/octal numbers improved.
- In a formula, you can type something like 3% and get 0.03
- A percentage view (next to FLO/SCI/ENG) that will put the answer in percentage form.
- Preference for thousands separators
- Improved support for locales
- Preferences are now saved when restarting your computer
- Exponents are now calculated right to left, not left to right. In other words, 2^3^2 now intprereted as 2^(3^2), not (2^3)^2.
- Precision error tweaking now displays 2.7 and 3.1 in place of of answers like 2.699999999999 and 3.10000000002.
(September 19, 2006)
- Programmer Mode
- Support for entering hex (0xff), octal (077), and binary (using bin(11011))
- Switch between hexadecimal, binary, and octal display by hitting shift+left arrow or shift+right arrow
- Set the precision of the displayed answer
- Copy the answer by clicking on the answer, then hitting command+c
- 2-4x increase in calculation speed.
- Numbers larger than ~10^12 and smaller than ~10^-6 now are correctly formatted in engineering notation (they were previously the right anwser, it would just be displayed in sciencific notation instead of engineering notation... in other words, it would be 7.0e13 instead of 70e12).
- Fixed a bug that would give you 'syntax error' if for equations like (2)/3 or (2)*3
- Fixed a bug where the cursor would be in the wrong location after calculating some equations
(August 8, 2006)
- Float/scientific/engineering formats now switch in realtime
- Formula box now scrolls, either with the arrow buttons on the keyboard or in the widget’s formula bar.
- Negative exponents, like 2e-9, are now supported
- Fixed a bug that caused negative numbers in scientific and engineering to be displayed improperly (still the correct number, just didn't look pretty)
- Fixed a bug where back to back to back exponents, like 2^2^2, wouldn't work
- Info and + buttons fade out when the widget is expanded/contracted
- Addition and subtraction with multiple +'s and -'s now works properly; previously 3 -- 2 would give you 1, not 5. You can also do crazy stuff like 4^-+-+-2, which PEMDAS will see as 4^(-2)
- Having an operator at the end of the line, such as 2- or 2+3*, will now give a syntax error.
- Fixed a bug that if you calculated an equation and clicked to a position in the equation, the new text would be in the wrong place when you started typing.
(July 6, 2006)
- Copy and paste added
- press command+c to copy the current formula
- press command+v to paste into the current formula (Note: restricted characters will not be pasted and only one line will be pasted)
- Fixed a number of bugs relating to calculations
- much better error detecting
- answer at the end of an equation does not get neglected in the calculation
- calculations should be slightly faster and take up less RAM
- if an answer is undefined, it will give a syntax error
- fixed a bug where if you used a function in an exponent without parenthesis, it would calculate it wrong (such as 3^sin(0))
- Added support for exponential notation... like 3.1e2 (which would be 310)
- Press shift+delete to clear (handy for notebook keyboards)
- Many other smaller improvements in general
(June 16, 2006 - 7:30PM EST)
Versions that were never released for public download:
- Widget file size is smaller
- Double clicking 'clear' button clears everything
- Pressing the clear button on the keyboard twice fast clears everything
- 'Syntax error' now displayed in the answer box, not the formula box
- You can edit formulas after you recalculated them from cache or there was a syntax error
- Click to add answer now works
- Can theoretically use infinite answers
(June 16, 2006 - 2:00PM EST)
- the second time around, the calculator is not masked when expanding/contracting
- cursor now defaults back to starting position if it encounters it doesnt like
- Info/expand buttons added
- Widget can now flip over
- Widget back complete for now
- Factorial button changed to ans button
- selecting text in the formula bar has been disabled for now
- Dashboard widget icon added
(June 15, 2006)
- Selecting text in the formula bar now works
- Website in process of being setup
- Scrolling works in the formula cache box
- Got rid of the console box
- GUI Resizing now works
- Keycode errors are fixed, sort of -> certain keys that you will never use just don't register
- Core code rewritten to be slightly faster.
- Started work on filtering out code.
- All functions are now supported (except factorial).
- Switching between degrees and radians works for everything.
- cursor icon does not work when moving over to select text
- Up and Down arrows now work to navigate quickly in the formula entering bar
- Default.png is now good enough.
- Window.resizeTo now takes care of the resizing in dashboard.
(June 12, 2006)
- GUI now expands, though its by clicking the (-) button and not the + button
- GUI more complete
- Default.png is not completely transparent, but still not correct
(June 11, 2006)
- Click to set cursor in formula bar should work
- Cached answers (ans1, ans2, ans3, etc.. but not >= ans10) now work
- [Most] buttons now work when clicked
- Switching from degrees to radians now works
- Formatting the display for Float/Scientific/Engineering now works
- GUI more complete
(June 8, 2006)
Versions with no version number
- GUI work has been started
- Renamed from MikeCalc to PEMDAS (in info.plist)
(February 2, 2006 - June 8, 2006)
- Calculations should work
- It supports the following functions: exp(), sin(), cos(), tan(), sqrt(), sinh(), cosh(), ln(), log()
- Note calculations are currently *only* in radians